Based on the upcoming Dec 17 City of Burbank Council Meeting Agenda homeowners can expect good changes in the regulations of Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU). We are presenting some of the most important changes that will be discussed and approved during the meeting:
- The project Review Time reduces permit approval to 60 days from 120. Which makes it possible
- ADU and Junior ADU must be allowed in a residential or mixed residential zone where there is an existing single-family or multifamily dwelling.
- ADU in Multifamily Zones must be allowed in zones where multifamily dwellings are allowed. Before it was allowed only when there is an existing single-family home on the lot.
- Multiple ADUs within Multifamily Buildings will be allowed up to 25% of existing dwellings to create an ADU within those existing units. Before these regulations it was not allowed.
- ADU Unit Size is allowed maximum 50% of the main dwelling for an attached ADU or 1200 square feet for detached ADU instead of 500 square feet.
- Setbacks. New structures cannot be required to provide a setback greater than 4 feet from the side and rear property line. Before it was required minimum 5 foot setback from the rear and side property line.
- Impact Fees for ADUs under 750 square feet may not be charged. ADUs above 750 square feet can be charged impact fees.
After the meeting, we will come back with new updates and more detailed explanation.
Source of information: City of Burbank council meeting agenda