Dear homeowners, here you can find the most frequently requested information about the Accessory Dwelling Units in the city of Glendale. For a detailed list of all requirements, please review Municipal Code section 30.34.080 about Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU) or contact us.
- You are eligible if you currently have just one dwelling unit.
- The ADU can be an addition, a separate building or a garage conversion.
- It can be between 150 – 600 square feet
- It must include a bathroom, kitchen, separate entrance and utilities.
- Permit fees are between $9,000 – $13,000 plus $2,348 covenant fee.
- Parking- you need one parking space unless you are within 1/2 mile of public transportation or in a historic district.
- Fire sprinklers may be required.
- The ADU will have a separate address.
- Separate utility meters are not required unless you want separate utility bills.
- Relevant zoning restrictions apply for maximum floor space and lot coverage.
- You may rent the ADU if you live in the primary home.
- You may not sell the ADU separately from the primary home,
- The ADU design must be architecturally compatible with the existing home.
- Future additions to the primary home could be affected if the garage is converted to an ADU.
Source of information City of Glendale ADU Information Pamphlet.